Het Wooldrikpark is named after a farmhouse called 'Het Wooldrik' (1475). The farm currenlty used as childrens farm, is build in 1788. During the 19th century this farmhouse and surrounded grounds were owned by textile family Ter Kuile who turned it into an estate. The design was made by Wattez who also made some other parks in Enschede.Over the years several families owned the estate and nowadays it is smaller that it used to be. Parts were sold to contruct houses or roads. In 1950 textilemaker GJ van Heek bought the park to save it. They donated it to the city in order to make it a public park. Beside the childrens farm the park has several art object and there is a special tree-route.
Almost every district in Enschede has one or more parks under municipal maintenance as-well as some beautiful country estates around the city. In many cases it is a hesitance of the textile industries. The popular Volkspark was designed for the 19th century workers to relax and is now home of the annual fun-fairs and other cultural events. The Ledeboerpark and others were originally developed as residence or country estate or the wealthy ones.